There are a number of precautions a pregnant woman should go for and this is why the first trimester or the first 3 months are considered extremely crucial for the growth and development of the fetus.
Let’s talk about precautions for pregnant women.
This is the stage when all the organs of the baby are in their formational stage.
All along the course of pregnancy, and especially during the first trimester, it is important that you avoid the following:
There are certain substances that you need to steer clear of during the days of your pregnancy for this is the time for monitoring the fetal movements which is an important indication of the health of your baby.
Use special precaution regarding the usage of the following:
- Sea food and fish
- Additives in food
- Concerns about dealing with food
- Herbs and medication
- Hot tubs and saunas
- Fetal solvent syndrome: a risk for a lot of birth related defects
- VDT or video display terminals
- Additional concerns and precautions
- Usage of chemicals and precautions
Sea food and fish
Sea food and fish are important sources of low fat foods as well as a lot of nutrients.
These are an important aspect of a healthy diet.
However, one of the important concerns regarding the consumption of sea food is that they may be rich in mercury.
Hence, you must always be on the safe side and make a wise choice regarding choosing fish varieties.
- Don’t consume any more than 12 oz of cooked fish during a week
- Avoid sword fish, shark, tile fish and king mackerel
- Take canned tuna or white albacore once a week
- Fresh water or game fish should be checked with the local advisories before consumption as a precaution
- Fast food sandwiches and fish sticks are made of low mercury containing fish
No body can safely suggest as to how much alcohol can be consumed during pregnancy.
The risk of consuming alcohol during the phase of pregnancy is that it may result in Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or FAS which is a condition that the baby may be born of.
There is no cure for FAS.
The consequences of FAS are:
- Slow growth of baby
- Problems in learning
- Abnormality of facial features